I recently joined a local church to where I am living and am rapidly settling into making it a regular part of my life. I had been looking for well over a year for the right place and had some pretty strict criteria for the kind of church I wanted to be a member of.
This may have been a little too strict by some peoples standards but my criteria was as follows.
- Firstly, as I am a Baptist I wanted it to be Baptist church.
- Secondly, I wanted it to be a small yet friendly congregation.
- Thirdly, I want to hear the word not spend my time listening to a rock band playing modern Christian music – I don’t mind singing and music at all – but I don’t want it to be the focus of my time there.
- Fourthly, I want to be comfortable with those around me so that I can take my own family there without spooking them.
- Fifthly, I want to grow as a Christian there not simply check a box to say I go to church each weekend.
- Sixthly, Ideally I wanted it to be in the local area – not too far away.